Thursday, June 21, 2012

All of the things I shouldn't be doing

Much like many young people in the world, I have a hard time doing exactly that which I should be doing most. I know I'm not alone- I mean, haven't we all spent a finals week obsessively making smoothies or playing sudoku? Haven't we all chosen laser tag over writing a term paper... at least once? Don't tell me you don't remember that week in college when you stayed in your pajamas eating your half-birthday truffles and reading the Half-Blood Prince instead of walking to campus in the snow for super-exciting SOE classes.

Well, I'm struggling here- there are about 354 things I need to do in Slovenia in the next month- many of which are actually due in the next week and a half. And yet, here I am. Watching episodes of How I Met Your Mother (I can't help it, Jason Segal is my favorite actor) and ''packing'' for the seaside. And here in Episode 3, season 2, Marshall is back into the dating circle and the television show is making fun of how bad he is at the game BECAUSE HE'S DOING ALL OF THE THINGS THAT I HAVE ALREADY DONE. Seriously- the last episode showed him shaking a girls hand and then talking about sweat. For too long.
This reminded me of a time that I had a crush on this guy who came too class really sweaty and I consoled him. By talking to him about sweat! For too long!! What is WRONG with me!?!

And writing THIS story reminded me of other hilarious/socially unacceptable dating situations I've been in. Years ago, I had a small (jk, huge) colony of plantar's warts living on my foot. I wasn't so embarrassed about it- I got them in taekwondo, which means I could easily kick the ass of anyone who tried to make fun of me. So anyway, I just dealt with it. For a while I was going to the podiatrist somewhere on Iowa street, and I drove past it on what was maybe-a-date with Nathan from my soc class. Nathan was super cool- like, leather jacket cool, and also happened to be very fun. We went mountain biking (see very old blog post about dates-going-wrong) and on the way back we passed the podiatrist, sparking this conversation:

Oh! I have to remember that I have an appointment tomorrow!
Wait, you have a podiatrist appointment?
Yes, I have a MASSIVE colony of plantar's warts
Oh, man, I actually do too.
Oh, yeah!!! Up-top!!!
------
Apparently giving high fives for both having HPV on your foot is not ok. He even told me that- by saying:
Nicole! I will not high-five you for that. Why aren't you embarrassed? You are supposed to be embarrassed!

I wasn't. I'm still not. Viruses happen, people. Especially if you explore places. So what happened to Nathan? Nothing. We didn't go for another date, but he did move to one of the Carolina's. I'm hoping that my lack-of-dating skills were not enough to drive him to another state.

And oh yeah, I would like to say that I have been Plantar's-Warts- free now for 3 years at least. The podiatrist was worthless- I got rid of them on my own. How? I would tell you, but it's too gross for a public blog. But ask me on a date and I might just give you all of the details...

2 comments:

  1. if you love me....you gotta love my phlegm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just caught up on the last few blogs and spent a lot of time lol-ing. I want to see video of the play! But way more importantly, I want to see you!! In real life, not just on a computer screen! I know the next couple of weeks are going to be busy and probably have a lot of mixed emotions...but if it's any consolation, I have only one emotion about you finally coming home. Haha that's probably not a consolation. I don't care, I'm psyched.

    ReplyDelete

Please, leave comments!